China takes over U.S. consulate in Chengdu as a retaliation for Houston

Jul. 27 – As a retaliation for the seizure of the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas, that took place last week, today Beijing took over the building of the U.S. consulate in Chengdu.

This morning Chinese authorities had entered the building of the U.S. consulate in Chengdu, in the Sichuan province. Beijing gave the Americans 72 hours to leave the premises: exactly the same time that was given to Chinese consulate by U.S. authorities.

Streets of Chengdu (Photo by Colegota – CC BY-SA 2.1 es)

“We are disappointed by the Chinese Communist Party’s decision and will strive to continue our outreach to the people in this important region through our other posts in China,” a U.S. State Department spokesperson said in an email to Reuters.

Later, the U.S. embassy released a video in Chinese on its Twitter feed with this message: “The U.S. consulate in Chengdu has been proudly promoting the mutual understanding between Americans and the people in Sichuan, Chongqing, Guizhou, Yunnan and Tibet since 1985. We will forever miss you,” it said.

This event is just the last episode of the severe escalation in tensions between the world’s two biggest economies. From trade and technology to China’s territorial claims and the COVID-19 pandemic and the clashes in Hong Kong, relations between this two giants have never been so complicated.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
  Subscribe  
Notify of